The Vatican Scavi Tour that goes through the excavations below Saint Peter’s Basilica is one of the most exclusive tours in all of Rome. Only 250 people are allowed through each day – compare that to the 30,000 that visit the Vatican Museums!
We have a special reserved tour on the day we will be visiting the Vatican.
- In order to preserve this exceptional historical, archaeological site and due to the limited premises around the venerated tomb of the Apostle Peter, limited visitors per day are permitted to enter.
- Only those who are 15 years or older will be admitted – no exceptions will be made.
- Appropriate dress is required. No shorts. No short skirts. Shoulders covered. Even in the summer heat, don’t risk it.
- No large bags. Normal sized backpacks and purses will go through security screening, but are allowed usually.
- Once inside, no photos are allowed.
- It is warm and cramped in the Scavi. If you are claustrophobic, well, you should visit anyway. Just know it might be a bit uncomfortable.
- Each group is accompanied by a guide especially trained by our office.
The guided visit lasts about an hour and a half.
We kindly inform all visitors to the necropolis that environmental conditions will be different underground, with possible increase of temperature and humidity. Those who suffer specific and serious physical problems that could be effected by these conditions, including claustrophobia, should not visit.